JP On Gaming

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Under the Influence Day 16: My Parents

It would be completely dishonest not to mention my parents on this list. The fact that they end up #16 is proof that the order was random as they would normally rank FAR above #16.

Let me preface this by saying that my parents are not very fond of gaming. They are both realistic, down-to-earth people whereas I am a dreamer. To speak of their influence on me would span days (and I expect same for most people), so I will limit myself to their influence on my gaming.

For years, my mother would tell me that gaming would never earn me a dime. And she was right. It was a money-sink where I would put in any available funds I had to get more of my fix. For years, I would write and run games for free. Posting them on sites like RPGArchive.com, GameEire.com or my own Scenariotheque (I turned off the adventures on my site since). It was not until I wrote my first paid RPGA adventure - COR6-04 A long way for a little knowledge - that I kept my check for almost a full year before cashing it. I had to show it to my mother first. After that, she never said anything about it.

I have since then written a number of products for the RPGA (Living Greyhawk & Living Forgotten Realms), NeoExodus, Kronea, and a few other small-time gigs.

Their opposition to gaming was no doubt the cause and reason for my love of it, as a form of rebellion. Think of it, there are way worse things to do. But it also forced me to try and become better at my craft.

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment