JP On Gaming

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

A writer's story and thoughts on what comes next

Funny thing happened to me this morning. For the past week, I have been working really hard at both Star Wars: The Old Republic AND finishing the last two adventures of the year for Legacies. Namely "ToS1-09 One Final Night of Freedom" and "ToS1-I02 Something Borrowed, Something Blew". These two adventures form a whole that concludes the first campaign year. Not quite a two-parter, but close.

"One Final Night" is done, leaving only the Masters' Notes left to expand and complete. There is still work to be done on the special, but both adventures have been designed in tandem, with elements written in one getting moved to the other, and vice-versa. I started with the thought of writing a two-round adventure (roughly eight hours of play), with a break in the middle. This break eventually led to the split between the two adventures, creating two out of one.

These two adventures are also a good point where things will shake up the campaign. Things are changing in the ArchDespotate and you, the players will have front row seat. Or is it backstage passes?

Whatever happens you will be the ones who will directly influence the continuation of the campaign. In fact, when I started working on the story last summer, I had but a vague idea of what I wanted to do and the players are the ones who gave me the ideas and the inspiration. So in a way those two adventures are the direct result of your actions, choices and decisions. They are, shall I say, your Legacy!

You have only yourselves to blame for all that is happening. Which leads me to review the campaign rules, see what I want to add, remove, change. I have ideas to add things to the campaign, ideas not fully formed just yet. Three such ideas are:
- "MyRealms"-like type of event where GMs can write their own adventures and run them for credit!
- House-specific adventures where players who belong to one house are sent to do "something".
- Special missions your character wants to do something special: fulfill a requirement for a Prestige Class, join an NPC, recover a lost body, etc. Ask a special mission and either run through with others or by yourself!

Just a few ideas I have been playing with. Maybe try one, maybe try them all... Is there anything you would like to see or not see in the campaign. This is a good time to get these discussions going.

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment